This time I wasn't nominated. I have chosen to start handing out the Liebster Award for 2016 and modify the rules.
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award 2016 is an award that exists only on the internet and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
The award is a way to be discovered but also to connect and support the blogging community. A great idea in promoting your own blog and others. Originally it was given out to blogs with less than 2000 readers but this has slowly lowed as the reward has gained popularity. It is now only 200 readers or less.
The Official Rules of the Liebster Award 2016
Back in 2011 the rules were a simple case of acknowledgement of the nominator and to nominate 5 more. Now in 2016 it is a little more involved!
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.) At the bottom of this post I've included a whole lot of images you can use for your 2016 Liebster Award.
- For the 2016 Liebster Award I will be shaking things up! Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This year I'm making this optional. If you wish to engage with your readers it's a great idea to include random facts about you.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post or mine if you don't have all the information so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)
Don’t forget to create 11 questions for them to answer. Notify your nominees and provide a link to your post so that they’ll know what to do. Once you’re done, come back here and comment with the link to your post so I can check out your answers.
10 Facts about Me
Here are the questions Iannesy set out for me in her blog post which you can find here.
- Out of all the countries you have visited, which one did you like the most?
I fell in love with Switzerland whilst on Contiki. Italy comes a close second. The landscapes are beautiful in Switzerland. The people are friendly and I just can’t get over the mountains… see what I did there!
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
Nothing on that list thus far, I use to skate. I’ve white water rafted but haven’t bungy jumped.
I would like to climb Mt. Everest… not the tourist way but actually make an effort to pass the ground camp and make it to the top. It’s dangerous, it’s expensive and it’s reserved for the dedicated. Many die trying to reach the most inhospitable place on the planet.
- If you can take someone with you in your travels, who would it be?
If I could choose anyone in the world (fictional or not) it would have to be Walter Mitty.
- Bike or Train?
Prefer bike over train. It's exercise and a ‘hands on’ experience. See what I did there? … That’s twice now… I’ll show myself out.
- What/Who inspires you to travel this world?
After five years of working behind a desk, I started to get that uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach, you know, the kind you get when you know you're not supposed to be where you are and I wondered to myself, "Is this what I'm going to do for the rest of my life?" So to shake things up I quit my job and decided to travel to somewhere new and learn to be a world traveller. /END SHAMELESS PLUG My inspiration was watching the film “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”. Now I am on the other side of the world having travelled for two months and have another 2 years of travelling planned.
- What is the best memory that you have while traveling?
My fondest memories are watching sunrises and sunsets but my favourite memory would have to be a sun-blessed day in the bay of Corfu, Greece, on a boat jumping off it for hours on end.
- If you could give someone $1,000,000 who would you give it to?
I would give it to a foundation for helping the homeless. All of it. There are countless tragedies out there and I choose to shelter those who can’t afford a roof over their heads regardless of their past.
- Apple or Samsung?
Apple. Apple has an easy to use device. Being a techie, I jailbreak my iPhones for added features but if Apple wasn't as user friendly I would have chosen Samsung. Official Rules of the Liebster Award 2016
- What is the scariest thing you have experienced while traveling?
Being stranded drunk without a phone or knowing where you are staying. Luckily I haven’t had a run in with bad sorts on my travels yet.
- Name the top 3 most beautiful beaches you have visited:
I come from a land down under. A place full of beaches!
- Nice, Southern France
- Bondi Beach, Sydney Australia
- Bennetts Beach, Hawks Nest, Australia
- How did traveling change your life?
It’s in the process of changing my life 🙂 I hope it will change me for the better. To be a world citizen.
Questions for my nominees
Prepare your brains to be analysed!
- Given the choice of anyone in the world whom would you want as a dinner guest and why?
- For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
- If travel was something everyone did as a rite of passage growing up where would you recommend they go and why? (one country only)
- What would be the best travel memory to have and how does it compare to what you have?
- Give a tip for other bloggers or potential blog starters:
- What is your favourite dish?
- Would you ever travel the world in a camper van?
- Give a travel tip from travellers:
- What do you think of selfie sticks?
- When you have a writer’s block what do you do to work it out?
- Who you gonna’ call?
Leave your posts here in the comments. If you’re not nominated for the Official Rules of the Liebster Award 2016, but want to answer any questions, I would be so happy to read them.
How to Find Bloggers to Nominate
There are several different things you can do to locate bloggers to nominate for the Liebster Award:
- Take a look at the stream of blog posts in your WordPress Reader. You can simply click on their links to be brought to those blogs. Some people display the number of followers they have in their sidebar.
- Nominate blogs that you follow.
- Click on the avatars (peoples’ pictures) that show up beside the section of any blog post (yours or someone else’s) where it says “X number of people have Liked this post” to discover new blogs to follow.
- Try doing a search for blogs on Google, or on Networked blogs.
Remember, it’s best to follow blogs in your niche as well as blogs about your other interests!
Images you can use for your 'Official Rules of the Liebster Award 2016' blog: